FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Interesting Bloomberg Report/Theory on Marriott Woes Driving HHonors Enrollments
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:09 am
hockeyinsider
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Handcake
I am gathering US Marriott customer service just isn't there. In Asia the culture sort of adds that extra to customer service. I had absolutely crap service at a RC in Beijing and the GM refunded me the entire stay. Had a bad stay in Seoul, I had to go to corporate to get a hold of the GM, and the GM phoned me. I got a suite upgrade on my next stay as compensation. My buddy who is Ambassador probably gets 100-200k points a year in compensation for stuff the hotels do that they shouldn't. Asia is really good about trying to keep customers happy.
It should be noted that Marriott manages more (perhaps even most) of its full-service hotels internationally, unlike here in North America where most of the hotels, full-service and limited-service, are managed by third-party management companies.

Within North America, Marriott general managers, both Marriott employees and third-party management company employees, are pretty good about throwing points at you for customer service recovery. Of course, I'm more interested in fixing the problem or issue so it doesn't happen again.

Sadly, I think most of the time they just throw points at you, hoping you'll go away and they won't have to deal with this again. I say that because I've returned to properties only to see the same issues reoccur.

Generally, Marriott-managed properties are better.

I've said this in other threads but I think part of the problem is who works at hotels.

Internationally, particularly in Europe or Southeast Asia, working at a big international branded hotel is prestigious. Many of the employees, even front desk clerks and junior manages, are young, well-educated, and working toward a career as a hotelier.

In the United States, that's less so. Yes, the general manager most likely studied hotel management but many of the other employees are just doing this as a "job" and not a career. They aren't nearly as polished. There's for sure a noticeable difference. You even notice it in restaurants, where front-of-the-house staff don't know how to properly serve food, pour wine, or set a table because being a waitress or bartender is just a "job." By contrast, you have say Paris where they have waiter schools and people will spend a career as a waiter.

It reminds me of a friend who owns a company. He said he would rather hire someone with no experience who he could then train and put on a path toward a career than someone who has held a lot of jobs and will bring bad habits and may leave as soon as they find something else.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Feb 14, 2019 at 7:18 am