FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi AA cards: General discussion and PUBLIC online offers (2019-2020)
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:05 am
jtav559

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by cburchard2012
I got the red aviator (Barclays) at least a year or more ago, and recently approved for world elite one (Citi), which came with 50k points/miles. Then two days later I got the email about the 60k and called. They said I had to wait for physical receipt of the card and then to call cust service to see if I can apply the 60k benefit.

Anyone ever done done this with other cards in the past, or know if this will work? Alternatively can I cancel the one just approved for since I didn’t get the benefit yet, and reapply for the 60k benefit? Or does that count as ‘closing’ an account within 24 months or whatever it says?

Thanks!
I think you have posted your question in the wrong thread.
The 2018 AA Citi card thread, now locked but lots of data points for you to read, is here: Citi AA cards: All (Platinum, Gold, Executive; Business) 2018
2019 version, for merging: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi...ne-offers.html

But yes, on the Citi AA - new applicants have been able to get their signup bonus matched to a higher level. Usually 50k > 60K miles. Just need to call or start an online chat once you get the card in your possession and activated. However, the call usually needs to take place before the first 90 day window is completed. I don't think there is precedent for meeting a spend requirement, getting 50k miles, then calling wanting to be matched to a higher bonus level.

Canceling would indeed reset the 24 mo clock.