FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Screen etiquette - should I be offended?
View Single Post
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:12 am
orbitmic
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Speedbird48
Quite sad really. Shows the state of the world we live in.
Or not... many people on here enjoy interaction with others, some, I know for a fact, extensively so. It doesn't mean that you want such interaction at any time, just like enjoying looking at views does not mean that you will spend the entire crossing of the Pacific looking out the window or that enjoying sleeping means you don't also enjoy being awake. It follows that different people use an airline seat in different "ways", appropriate the space in different manners. In my case, when flying J or F, if I were to equate my airline seat to a room in the flat, it would be the bedroom. I change into my pyjamas before having to wear my seat belt, I recline the second I am allowed to, and I look forward to it as a time in a bubble - often in fact the only one when I am not constantly interacting with others having typically been at work and with people both before and after. And as much as I can enjoy a nice conversation with others, it is not something I'd consider when I am in my pyjamas and in my "bedroom".

The second point is that there is interaction and interaction. I would be more likely to share your view if the alternative to the screen up was a conversation with someone, but this is neither typically the case, nor what the space is set up for. In fact, when you are in taxiing/take off/landing mode, the CW seats are absolutely not conducive to having a discussion even if you wanted to. You are actually quite far away from the other person, and your head is not actually by the screen gap but behind it by the "fixed wall" part, with the other person's head by the other fixed wall the other side of the screen gap. Additionally, as mentioned by others, we have a nice natural experiment here because on an A380, you can't typically raise the privacy screen till you reach 10,000 ft. In my experience, in 95% of the cases, the person across is not seeking eye contact in those cases let alone chatting so all is left is people "avoiding" looking like they are just staring at the other or spying on what they are writing/reading/doing with their fingers etc. A rather limited interaction.