FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ZAG-USM via DOH and BKK with Qatar Airways and Bangkok Airways
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:32 am
DC10

Programs: QR Silver, TK Elite+, Accor Gold, Mariott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond and IHG Diamond Ambassador
Trip Report Information

Departure Airport: Zagreb International Airport (ZAG)
Arrival Airport: Koh Samui International Airport (USM)

Via: Doha Hamad International Airport (DOH) and Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK)

Aircrafts: Airbus A319, Airbus A320 and Airbus A350

You can find more airlines reviews and also restaurant and hotel review on my blog. Visit www.redtie.blog

Class: Business Class and Economy Class

Journey Lenght: 23 hours and 10 minutes

Check-In

I arrived to the airport about 1:30 hour before departure. Qatar Airways have 3 check-in counters at the Zagreb Airport. There is a dedicated check-in counter for Business Class, Privilege Club (Silver and higher) and One World (Ruby and higher) members.

Check-In took less than 5 minutes and there was no crowd. The airport was very empty for 3 pm Friday afternoon.

Check-In Desk

At the security checkpoint I waited less than 5 minutes. There was a dedicated Priority line but it was closed.

Lounge

At the Zagreb Airport there is only one lounge used by all airlines, Priority Pass, Lounge Key and credit cards with lounge access. The lounge is located next to gate 23 and is operated by Prime Class. The lounge is small and offers basic food and drinks. The lounge it was quiet busy at the time.

Lounge is offering cold and hot drinks and also beer, wine and spirits. Food such as snacks, pastries and sandwiches are also offered.

Coffee and Tea

Soft Drinks and Food

I was't hungry, so I only had a pastry and cup of coffee. I also checked out latest copy of Croatia Airlines in-flight magazine.

Afternoon coffee in the lounge

Coffee was good but the pastry was very dry and hard. The lounge is nothing special but is a nice place to wait before flight. Lounge can get crowded at the morning and afternoon.

Lounge Rating 12/20 (Food and Drinks 3/5, Ambiance 3/5, Facilities 3/5, Service 3/5)

Boarding

At about 3:20 pm boarding started but I spend a little more time in the lounge and arrived to gate at 3:35 pm. It was already a final call but most passengers where still boarding and waiting inside the jet way.

Qatar Airways A320

Flight Info

Route: Zagreb - Doha

Flight Number: QR 218

Airline: Qatar Airways

Aircraft: Airbus A320

Departure Time 4:05 am (actual 04:05 am)

Arrival Time: 11:35 pm (actual 11:20 pm)

Flight Duration: 5 hours 30 minutes (actual 5 hour 15 minutes)

Class and seat: Business Class, seat 3C (Flat-Bed)

Departure and Arrival time are local

Flight

This Airbus A320 had separate Business Class with 12 Flat-Bed seats. The seats where equipped with latest in-flight entertainment Orxy One, power outlet and USB port. The aircraft was also equipped with Wi-Fi. This was one of the updated A320s. Qatar used them mostly on longer flights to Europe and Middle East. This flight is also one of the longer A320 flights.

Business Class Seat

Seat Controls

In Flight Entertainment remote

In-Flight Entertainment Screen

The boarding was completed at 03:45 pm. After the boarding was completed purser came to every passenger in Business Class to introduce her self. Purser also asked me about welcome drink and towel (choice of cold or hot) and gave me menu and wine list. Blanket, amenity kit, headphones and bottle of water where already waiting at the seat.

I choose the cold towel and glass of water. I like how at the Qatar Airways they have both cold and hot towels.

Menu for today's flight was featuring "Dine on Demand" concept of a lunch / dinner.

Menu

Before the push-back crew came to ask about my dinning preferences. I choose to have a lunch after take-off.

Amenity Kit was a simple one with eye mask, socks and lip balm. Tooth brush and razor kits where available at the lavatory. Amenity Kit was packed in a beautiful bag with Arabic picture.

Amenity Kit

Lunch

After the seat belt sign was switched off crew started with the meal service. First they brought me red wine and the nuts. Wine was good, I liked the taste and it was served on the right temperature. They also brought me glass of water to have with the wine.

Pre-Lunch Drink

After about 20 minutes crew came and prepared my tray table for the lunch. And brought me the starter.

For starter I had few prawns served with the vegetables. Food was served on the right temperature. Food was very delicious and above my expectations for food on the plane. Together with the starter crew also brought me salt and pepper. I added some pepper to the starter and I liked it.

Starter

After I was done with the starter crew bought me main course within few minutes. I like that service was quick but on other hand not too quick.

For the main course I had a chicken maqlooba which is a traditional Arabic dish. Maglooba was served with a yogurt dip. I was also offered mustard and Tabasco to have with my main course. Main course was very delicious and also portion was quite large.

Main Course

After I was done with the main course, crew asked me if I would like to change the wine for the dessert.and if I would like to have coffee or tea. I choose Port Wine which was brought to me right away.

Few minutes later they brought me dessert and Espresso coffee. Dessert was fruit tart in Banoffee Pie style accompanied with Cremè Anglasie. Tart was very delicious and not too sweet. Coffee was also very good. Also Port wine was a great match with a dessert.

Dessert

Shortly after I was done with the dessert cabin light where dimmed as many passengers wished to sleep.Crew also gave to each passenger a box with 2 Godiva pralines.

Pralines

We had about 3:30 hours till Doha so I spend about 40 minutes working. Then I doze off for about 50 minutes. I had seat in a lounge / work position which is a bit reclined and with half-way extended leg rest. I find this seat position best for working or lounging.

Lounge position

After I woke up cabin was still dimmed and we had 2:00 hours till Doha. Maybe a minute or two after I woke up Purser came and asked me if I want another coffee. Espresso was served with Godiva pralines. I liked that Purser remembered my coffee choice and that coffee was served with glass of water.

Coffee and Pralines

About 50 minutes before landing cabin lights where turned ON. We landed at Doha a bit ahead of schedule. We taxi to the gate for about 5 minutes. At the remote stand we didn't wait long for doors to open. There was a dedicated Business Class bus to transfer us to the terminal.

Conclusion

This flight to Doha was one of better Qatar Airways flights. Service and purser where exceptional, also food was beyond my expectation. Seats are excellent for 5 hours flight because they are designed same as the long haul ones used on retrofitted Airbus A330/A340. Only they are a bit on the narrow side and they are missing a reading light for working. They have a reading light but is inside the a shell and is available only when you recline your seat. Flight was exceptional in the terms of soft and hard product.

Rating for this flight

Seat Comfort 5/5

Food & Drinks 5/5

Service 5/5

Cabin Comfort 5/5

Check-In and Boarding 5/5

Lounge 3/5

Total 28/30 (9.3)

Transit at Doha Hammad International Airport

After we where parked at the remote stand doors where opened quickly and we transferred to terminal by dedicated Business Class bus.

After a 10 minutes drive we arrived to the terminal. There was a security check-point for connecting passengers. It was around 11:30 pm and airport was quite busy. There was a separate screening line for the Business Class and there was no line at all. I cleared security check-point in less than 5 minutes.

Lounge

Qatar Airways is having 4 own flagship lounges at the Doha International Airport. As a Business Class passenger I could use the Al Mourjan Business Lounge or Qatar Airways Business Class Lounge.

The Al Mourjan Business Lounge is their best Business Class lounge and is only available for Business Class passenger not the Privilege Club Members.

The lounge is located on 2nd level above the Duty Free Shops and is huge. I think is one of the largest lounge in the world.

Lounge is offering lounge seating around the lounge. There is also a quiet area with recliners to take a nap and their is a rest area where you can get own suite with a sofa and TV (showing flight departure board or TV channels). If you are traveling with a family you can get family suite which is same as a suite in rest area but larger.

Lounge have also dedicated business area with work desks, conference tables and computers.

Lounge is offering A'l carte dinning and the bar as well as cold and hot buffet. Soft drinks, coffee and tea as well as some light refreshments are placed trough out the lounge. There are also lounge attendants walking around lounge and they ask if they can bring you anything.

Coffee and Tea

Light Refreshments

I had about an hour in lounge. As I was full from my previous flight I had just a cup of green tea and I spend about 45 minutes working on my laptop. Then I decided to just sit back for minutes and relax.

Tea

Lounge is excellent and is one of the best airlines lounges in the world. I only regret that didn't have more time to spend in the lounge. I could be compared to some First Class airlines lounges.

Lounge Rating 20/20 (Food and Drinks 5/5, Ambiance 5/5, Facilities 5/5, Service 5/5)

Boarding

At about 01:05 am I left the lounge. Gate for my flight to Bangkok was about 10 minute walk away from the lounge. As I reached the gate, it was already a Final Call. There was a dedicated Business Class line. Once I enter the gate just before the jet way there was another scanning of boarding passes. There was no dedicated Business Class line but the person screening person ask me if I am traveling in Business Class and he took me ahead of the line. Qatar Airways is really good about offering priority service to Premium passengers.

I boarded the A350 trough front doors, and walked to my seat 7A. Seat was an bulkhead seat just behind second doors in the rear Business Class cabin. Only disadvantage of rear Business cabin is that Economy Class is walking trough it at the boarding. Boarding took another 10 or 15 minutes.

Flight Info

Route: Doha - Bangkok

Flight Number: QR 834

Airline: Qatar Airways

Aircraft: Airbus A350-900

Departure Time 01:45 am (actual 02:00 am)

Arrival Time: 12:30 pm (actual 11:45 am)

Flight Duration: 6 hours 15 minutes (actual 5 hour 45 minutes)

Class and seat: Business Class, seat 7A (Flat-Bed)

Departure and Arrival time are local

This Airbus A350-900 is featuring 36 flat-bed seats in Business Class. Business Class is in two sections separated by open lounge next to 2L/2R doors. Lounge is featuring snacks and Champagne during the flight.

Lounge Area

Lounge area during the flight

Seats are flat-bed seats in 1-2-1 configuration. Seats are equipped with latest Orxy One in-flight entertainment system. Seats have also power port and USB port to re-charge your devices. Bulkhead seats have also a storage cabinet where you can store small personal items.

Seat Controls

Storage Space

Inflight Entertainment Screen

There where headphones, amenity kit and bottle of water waiting at my seat. Amenity kit was similar to one I got on my previous flight with addition of few more cosmetics (facial mist and hand creme) and earplugs. Amenity kit this time had a painting of Doha.

Amenity Kit

Before take off flight attendant also brought me bag with pajama and sleepers.

Boarding was completed at 01:40 am and purser came to introduce her self and told me about flight time, arrival time. Flight attendant also came to ask me about drink and towel choice. I choose cold towel and Rose Champagne for welcome drink.

Welcome drink and towel

Crew also asked me if I would like a newspaper or magazine. I choose New York Time.

Newspaper

Menu for today's flight was featuring "Dine on Demand" concept of Breakfast and light snacks.

[gallery ids="579,580" type="rectangular"]

Menu

Shortly after takeoff crew asked me about my dinning preferences. I choose breakfast to have about 2 hours prior landing to Bangkok and a small snack right after takeoff.

Snack

After take off we where flying for about 10 minutes over rough air. And after the seat belt sign was turned off crew brought me beer and nuts.

Beer and Nuts

After about 40 minutes later, crew brought me snack. I choose the Mini Sliders. Sliders where good but I was missing some fries or chips for a side dish. I liked that they brought me Tabasco and Mustard as condiments. Overall Mini Sliders where good.

Sliders

After I was done with my snack I decided to put the seat into bed position. Seat was comfortable and wide. Also blanket provided was very soft and plush. I started watching a movie from the In-Flight entertainment and shortly I drifted to the sleep.

Seat in bed possition

I woke up about 4:00 hours before landing in Bangkok. Shortly after I woke up crew asked me if I wanted to have breakfast right away or wait for some time. I decided to have breakfast right away. I asked for Espresso and glass of orange juice and I received them with the breakfast.

Breakfast

First they brought me starter which was a salmon with asparagus. Starter was delicious and I liked that salmon was not smoked but fresh. I just did't like that they did't brought me first fresh fruit and then salmon. I liked the candle they placed on the table. Also I liked the bread & pastry basket. Breakfast was very similar to an luxury hotel in-room dinning.

Starter

After I was done with my starter they brought me fresh fruit as a main course. Fruit was delicious.

Main Course

I liked how the Qatar Airways food was improved over last year. This was my second flight and food was again outstanding.

After I was finished with the breakfast there was still 2 hours till landing. I decided to spend rest of flight time to work. About 1 hour before landing crew asked me if I want another cup of coffee. I decide to have another Espresso. Coffee was served with another glass of water. They used the purple glass which I like.

Coffee

After I was done with coffee crew started to prepare cabin for landing. We where landing for about 40 minutes as we where in a holding for a bit. We landed a bit ahead of schedule an taxi for about 10 minutes to the gate.

Conclusion

Flight was exceptional and I liked the food a lot. Only the breakfast could be improved by serving fruit first. Service could be a bit more attentive but otherwise it was great compared to the airlines. Only the crew could close the window blinds of sleeping passengers as majority of passengers left them open. We departed at night time, but reached daylight soon before we reached west coast of India.

Arrival

After we where parked at gate it took about 5 minutes to for jet way to be attached to the aircraft. We used front doors to disembark. When we where leaving the aircraft purser was giving "Fast Track" cards for the immigration.

Rating for this flight

Seat Comfort 5/5

Food & Drinks 4/5

Service 4/5

Cabin Comfort 4/5

Boarding 5/5

Lounge 5/5

Total 28/30 (9.3)

Transit at Bangkok Suvarnabh Airport

After we left the aircraft we trough jet way to the terminal. We arrived to concourse D. My onward domestic flight was departing from concourse A.

Passengers connecting on onward flights to Chiang Mai, Chiangrai, Phuket, Krabi, Samui and Hat Yai can clear imigration airside and baggage will be automatically transferred to domestic flight if it was checked to the final destination. And you will clear customs inspection at the final destination.

Walk to gates A took about 15 minutes, before clearing immigration air side there are Bangkok Airways and Thai Airways transit desks and they check your boarding pass before they allow you to clear immigration.

My onward flight was in Economy Class even that ticket was purchased with Qatar Airways and all other legs where in Business Class.

Bangkok Airways is offering 2 Lounges at the Bangkok Airport.

The Blue Ribbon Lounge is reserved for Business Class passengers. It can be also accessed with Priority Pass, Lounge Key, Credit Cards with lounge access and one time entry pass (price is 30$). My credit card (Diners Club) didn't have contract with lounge so I couldn't access the lounge. As I had only an hour and half to my connecting flight I didn't decide to pay and use the lounge.

But luckily Bangkok Airways is offering a lounge to all passenger. It is a very nice gesture to offer everyone complimentary drink and snack. But lounge is very basic they use paper and plastic glasses, have few soft drink machines and Nescafe coffee. They also have few desserts and snacks. There is also a Wi-Fi access in the lounge.

Snacks

Unfortunately lounge was very crowded at the time and I could barely find a seat. I had an Espresso coffee and glass of water. Coffee was very good for Nescafe one. After about 20 minutes seating in crowded lounge I moved out to the gate areas which where quieter. I spend rest of time just siting back and relaxing.

I liked that Bangkok Airways is offering an lounge for everyone. But maybe they could offer the lounge offer (drinks and snacks) inside the gate area so crowds would be separated.

Boarding

At 2:40 pm boarding started. There was no Business Class on this flight so there was no priority boarding. There where 2 boarding zones for Economy Class. Boarding took around 30 minutes and flight was completely full.

Flight Info

Route: Bangkok - Koh Samui

Flight Number: PG 163

Airline: Bangkok Airlines

Aircraft: Airbus A319

Departure Time 03:15 pm (actual 03:30 am)

Arrival Time: 04:25 pm (actual 04:15 pm)

Flight Duration: 1 hours 10 minutes (actual 45 minutes)

Class and seat: Economy Class, seat 3C

Departure and Arrival times are local

Flight

This A319 was in high density one class configuration. Flight was completely full. Seats where standard economy class seats with 31 inch legroom. There was an audio entertainment but I don't know if it was working.

Audio Entertainment

Refreshment

Shortly after the take-off cabin crew started with the meal service. Because it was an short flight, meal service was simply an afternoon tea. First we got trays with biscuit cake, fruit salad and bottle of water. After cabin crew walked around the cabin with coffee, tea and orange juice.

The cake was good but very sweet. Coffee was again Nescafe. I like the concept of afternoon tea served on the short flights between 3 and 6 pm.

Afternoon Tea

After the meal service crew shortly start to collect empty trays. Shortly afterwards we started with descent to Koh Samui airport.

Conclusion

Crew did exceptional job on this flight, as it was full flight with little less than 150 people. I was pleasantly surprised about the experience at the airport and on board.

Arrival

After 3 minute taxi we where parked to the main terminal and door where opened very quickly. From the aircraft to arrival hall we where taken by golf cart style bus. At the arrival hall passengers arriving without cleared customs re-claimed bags at the separated carousel. At the exit of baggage hall there was an customs inspection. Our bags where delayed for about 20 minutes. After I left the baggage hall I found my hotel driver waiting for me at the arrivals hall.

Rating for this flight

Seat Comfort 4/5

Food & Drinks 4/5

Service 5/5

Cabin Comfort 5/5

Boarding 4/5

Total 21/25 (8.8)

Overall Rating

Flight 1 28/30

Flight 2 28/30

Flight 3 21/25

Total: 77/85 (9.0)

Final Thoughts

I enjoyed Business Class experience with Qatar Airways. Food and service aboard where exceptional. Bangkok Airways is also an regional airline with great service. I would choose Bangkok Airways for my domestic flight again but would try to get Business Class. The layover in Bangkok was quiet tiring one.