FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:33 pm
eponymous_coward
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by JacksonFlyer
WN is an excellent company, I for one have never enjoyed flying with them and would do so only if they were my last choice...
Well, OK. WN is often hated here on FT as the "kettle airline", so your reaction's not unusual. I'm not going to tell people which airlines to like or dislike, but if I am going to be stuck in bad seats and have no chance at an F cabin if I buy the lowest fare in Saver, I might as well buy it on WN at the same price and not be stuck eating the cost of the ticket if my plans change. I don't clear enough AS F upgrades to want to pay $30 for "upgrade roulette" (and end up in Y if lose it), and I simply don't value shorthaul F very much (I have SDC'ed out of AS F to AS Y at better times so many times I've lost track).

There have been times where I HAVE bought AS in Main ("oh, look, instant GGU usage" or "well, it costs the same as WN to be in Main anyway"), and I expect there will be some in the future, but 2019 is experimenting with free agency.

TBH I could fly NK for the right deal. (Their operational reliability and the overall experience is better than a lot of people think.)