FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Unable to book tickets for family using miles
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:52 pm
beachmouse

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by ashill

Right, but have you earned any by flying AS (or even a partner)? I recall (but can’t find) an obscure rule that prohibits new Mileage Plan members from purchasing or transferring points and then using them without earning any miles by flying, or something along those lines. But without being able to find whatever I’m remembering, that’s not very helpful.
I'm going to be cranky if this turns out to be something that Alaska starts to enforce aggressively. Alaska is the party that reached out to me and gave me a small but useful number of miles in their program because I used to have a Virgin America account even though I live a couple hundred miles from the nearest place where either airline ever flew. And then I've been throwing a modest 2K miles a month into that account from e-Rewards redemptions because the implication was that I could use them on American. (Don't laugh; American has local flight options) I'm not trying to game my way into overseas premium cabin redemptions; I just like having some modest redemption options across different programs, and I'll be upset if I was wasting my e-Rewards currency because it's unredeemable when I could have been throwing it to another airline instead.