FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Southwest aggressive auto-cancellation for non-overlapping flights
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:36 am
BobtheBuilder66

Southwest aggressive auto-cancellation for non-overlapping flights

Couple days ago (Monday, Feb 11) I booked two one-ways (identical routes) for Feb 17 and Feb 18. Wasn't sure yet which date I wanted to fly, and I saw that availability was drying up, so hit the trigger on both to cancel one by the end of this week. Figured I would be OK with the auto-cancellation sweeps since these were on different dates, no overlap, and both theoretically possible (both departing AM, could fly back in PM on another carrier and take the next day's flight back out). Also after reading others' experiences on the forum, just to be extra safe, I left my RR# and KTN off the first reservation.

Well last night at ~2 am I got an email saying that the Feb 18 flight had been cancelled -- without explanation, but presumably caught by the duplicate sweeper.

I just confirmed this afternoon that I actually need the Feb 18 flight, so called up Southwest and asked for Feb 18 to be reinstated. I half expected to be scolded by the agent for booking on consecutive days, but instead, after "investigating" why it was cancelled for 10 mins on hold she said she found the "duplicate" flagged by the computer on the 17th (even without my RR#), but was very puzzled and apologized for the auto-cancellation, saying it shouldn't have happened since they weren't overlapping or impossible... and could plausibly have been day trips (or for a mileage run). But, given that the computer didn't like it, she said if she reinstated the 18th without cancelling 17th, it would likely be cancelled again tonight by the sweeper.

Lesson learned... Southwest is getting more aggressive with auto-cancellations of reservations on consecutive days (regardless of whether it's attached to your RR# or not).