FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - changing planes in Atlants on Delta Airlines
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:24 am
Cledaybuck

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
37 minutes is only 2 minutes above the Minimum Connection Time of 35 minutes. This will be very tight if you arrive on time and your connection is departing on time. That said, both DTW-ATL and ATL-FLL run pretty frequently so unless you're on one of the last flights of the night, you'll have back-up options to get to FLL, as well as plenty of flights to PBI or MIA that you could be rebooked on.

Now, depending on how far out your trip is, Delta frequently makes minor (to major) schedule adjustments, with most schedule changes finalizing about 30-60 days out. If the schedule changes to shorten the connection by even 3 minutes, you'll be violating minimum connection time and thus will be eligible for a schedule change that will allow you to either 1) get a new itinerary with a longer layover or if you're lucky 2) get DL to rebook you on a DTW-FLL nonstop.

Additional note to ease some of the burden: DL usually pads its schedules a bit. There is a good chance that if you depart DTW on-time, you may arrive in ATL a little early, providing a little more cushion. There is no guarantee of this happening day of, however.
Yeah, my question would be if this was booked as a 37 minute connection or was there a schedule change that made it shorter? If there was a change, I would try calling DL as seeing if I could get on the non stop DTW-FLL. If not, I might consider trying the 37 minute connection, assuming it wasn't the last flight of the day. Even if I miss it, there is probably another flight in about an hour.