FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US Bank Altitude Reserve Card (2017 - 2023)
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:11 pm
tmiw
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by akr1970akr
Personally I find it is increasingly the exception that a place won't take contactless now.

Maybe full service restaurants and stuff like that. However many places which claim Apple Pay or GPay, don't seem to actually have them operational.

And I'm not even doing the Samsung Gear S3 MST thing, which can supposedly work wherever swiping can work.

I figure I'd have to spend 10k to make up the cost of buying one of those ($200 device / 2% advantage over other payment methods), given that I wouldn't normally use that over my regular old school watches.

Can't see this benefit lasting as the technology gets more widely adopted.

USB is going to have to cap it or reduce the rate.
Eh, I can see them holding onto it for a while to come. I mean, many of the US payment industry blogs/experts are now saying that mobile wallets will never come anywhere close to replacing people's cards (and the stats seem to confirm this too, as use in the US is still extremely low over four years after Apple Pay's announcement). Besides, I'm not sure Chase and others would have bothered with contactless cards again had there been more demand by customers for Apple Pay, etc.

And that's not even talking about the numerous smaller businesses/restaurants that simply will not let customers touch their terminals (and with stuff like this video I'm not sure they're being completely unreasonable). At least at those, contactless cards have a chance at being used wirelessly instead of just being inserted, even if it's the employee doing it.