FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Refused Downgrade - What are my rights?
View Single Post
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:13 pm
p17blo

Refused Downgrade - What are my rights?

I've searched for this quite thoroughly, but whilst there are similar cases, none really give a definitive answer - This maybe as it either isn't known or hasn't been tested.

At the checkin desk on a flight from Tampa to Gatwick I was told that due to aircraft change I had been downgraded from Club to WT. After some discussion I refused the Downgrade and the check in manager booked me the following day from Orlando. During my time at the check in desk (about 90 minutes) I saw about 50 people check in, roughly half were downgraded and the other half were not asked if they were willing to be downgraded or rebooked they were just checked in (IMHO BA made no effort at this point to seek volunteers to be bumped or downgraded).

We arrived just short of 24 hours late. BA are agreeing to pay costs for hotel, food and transport in florida, but are refusing to pay transport in UK (I had a non cancellable taxi booked and paid for that I missed and had to pay another company to taxi me home) and they claim that since I 'agreed' to be rebooked for a flight the following day that EU regulation for delayed arrival doesn't apply. I would contest that i 'agreed' to anything and that at no point did the BA Check In manager advise me of my rights about anything he was doing.

I do have a ticket stamped 'Involuntary Reroute'.

So are BA right, or should I contest this? Contesting at this point would means MCOL i feel as my last response to them was asking for them to confirm that their response was final