FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Plat Delta medallion benefits on Virgin Australia
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:29 pm
CPMaverick

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by ed285
Just a data point: I was (rudely) denied access to the SilverKris lounge at BNE because I didn't have a VA card. Well, yeah, I'm a partner platinum, and I did have my Delta DM card to prove it, but they were determined to not let me in. Was flying SYD-BNE-LAX in PS.

Not sure what your options are if you're travelling through Brisbane before the new VA lounge finally opens.

Delta elites never had international lounge access with VA. The lounge agreement is only reciprocal, VA-owned lounges and DL-owned lounges only. VA doesn't have (and has never had) any international lounges (although possibly opening one in WLG in the future). The 'new' VA lounge will be no different, it is a 3rd party lounge and DL elites will not have lounge access (unless flying J).

Look at it this way, SQ has no partnership with DL. They are in rival alliances. Yes, SQ has a partnership with VA, but regular VA Y passengers don't get lounge access. So you were asking to use the SQ lounge solely on the basis that you spend a lot of money with DL. That's the logic.

Similarly, if you are a VA elite you can't go to the KLM lounge at AMS, even if flying DL metal. Same for both sides. Not ideal, but that's the way it is. VA is not part of Skyteam.

Originally Posted by SecurityTheaterFanClubPresident
That's legitimately awful, that BNE International terminal is a joke. I was there in December and didn't realize that BNE didn't have an International Virgin lounge (at their home airport nonetheless - shameful). Good luck finding a power point to charge your stuff.
They have pretty good lounges at BNE for their elites and J pax.

Originally Posted by mot29
The VA-NZ breakup really seems to have screwed things up for lounge access.
It was a bit chaotic for awhile, but now that the dust has settled, the international lounge access for VA is actually much simpler and quite good. But like it has been since the start of the VA/DL partnership, this doesn't include DL elites. The NZ partnership did not help DL elites in any way.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Feb 11, 2019 at 4:43 pm