FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why the NC Toll Pass is a Great Buy for Car Renters
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:12 pm
AutoSlash
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by m907
@AutoSlash, do you know how the NC pass adheres to the windshield? Is it a suction cup or some sort of adhesive strips? It seems like the latter would be a pain to move from car to car.
Both the E-ZPass and E-ZPass Flex versions appear to use Velcro strips, according to the linked instructions here: https://www.ncquickpass.com/resource...tructions.aspx

If you'd prefer a suction cup mount, though, something like
this this
or
this this
might work.

Personally, I just have two transponders and keep one in my personal car and the other in my bag for taking on trips, just in case I happen to rent a car and drive on toll roads. (The second transponder was free with the Massachusetts account I have.) It lives in my bag, so it's always easy to pull out when I pick up a rental car in the Northeast. I don't bother to mount my transponder in rental cars--I just manually hold it up to the rental car's windshield whenever I went under a toll gantry, which also makes it much less likely I'll forget it when I returned the car.

I just ordered a NC one last week. Since additional transponders from NC aren't free, I might just stick with one and try to remember to take it with me when I leave town. That's what I did with my Massachusetts one before I ordered the second transponder.

Originally Posted by kxc262
MA does not charge for their EZ pass and you can get it, even if you do not live in state. No monthly fees either.

No express lane option though like the article.
Yes, you can do better (free) with an E-ZPass from Massachusetts or New York, but it doesn't work in Florida (outside of Central Florida). Or you can do better (free) with an E-PASS sticker from Florida, but it doesn't work in the Northeast, and it's a single-use sticker that won't work again if you peel it off of your rental car's windshield. If you want one single transponder that offers coverage in every state east of the Mississippi, the NC QuickPass is the cheapest ($7.49 for the non-Flex option and $16.49 for the Flex option, which, as stated above, is the only way to qualify for free HOV use of the toll lanes in Northern Virginia).

FWIW, there have been murmurings of forthcoming interoperability between the Southeast consortium (NC/GA/FL) and the Tornado Alley consortium (KS/OK/TX), so there's a chance that one transponder will work for everything east of Colorado one of these days...

Last edited by AutoSlash; Feb 11, 2019 at 6:22 pm