FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help planning BeNeLux trip :)
View Single Post
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:58 am
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IME the potential credit card issues in Benelux are that (1) the machines selling train tickets at AMS (and other stations) accept only MasterCard while the ticket windows impose a surcharge and can have very long lines -- this was my experience the last time I tried and (2) all of the 24/7 hour gas stations tend to accept only local Visa cards on nights and weekends, including at service stations on the autoroute in Belgium --again this was my most recent experience, and the same is true in France and pretty much throughout Europe, although in some places you might be able to insert cash (a bill of some particular denomination, perhaps 10 or 20 Euro) and get that amount of gas if the picky machine likes your currency.

Unless you plan to stay in some particularly dodgy hostels or want to pay in a hotel that charges by the hour and not have a record of the transaction, I can't imagine not wanting to pay for hotel etc. expenses with a credit (not debit and not cash) card.