FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Business Travel - before vs after having children
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:26 am
PSU08

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Business Travel - before vs after having children

Wife and I are expecting our first child later this year. We're beyond thrilled by the knowledge that we'll soon be parents, but also a bit anxious about the unknown.

In addition to this, I was recently offered a job opportunity with significant growth potential. However, this job would require more than 50% travel and they have explained up front that some of the travel will span across weekends (i.e. 2 weeks concurrent). For reference, I travel less than 30% for my current job, normally 2 - 3 day trips at a time (wife has been OK with this so far).

My wife has been incredibly supportive and thinks she would be OK with the added travel. My gut tells me otherwise, especially when the baby arrives. Also, I don't know how I'm going to feel being on the road with a newborn at home.

Curious to hear thoughts / advice from those with experience in this realm. Did your perspective on business travel change after you had kid(s)? Are there any set rules you try to follow (i.e. be home for weekends) to help lessen the impact of being away from home?