FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Annual Award Category Changes - Effective March 5, 2019.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:08 am
HIFlya

Originally Posted by controller1
From reading this thread and others, it appears those of you with a number of years with Marriott should have expected these changes in general.

I see statements such as "[name of hotel] in [Any City, Any Country] is my favorite and it is increasing from a Category [x] to a Category [y]." Well, if it is your favorite hotel then perhaps it is hundreds or thousands of other members favorite hotel also. And since Marriott determines categories based on popularity of use of award reservations at said property, it is somewhat expected.

It was much better on the member with SPG as they based their award categories on a property's ADR. So yes, you might have a Four Points in San Francisco at a higher category than a full service property in the U.S. midwest, it was easier to justify because the regular rates and thus the ADR of the San Francisco property was higher than that midwest property.

Even though I prefer the SPG way of pricing award categories, it is hard to argue with Marriott's way of pricing award categories since it is based on the principal of supply and demand and the higher category properties are demanded more often in the form of award reservations than are the lower category properties.
This is just the way I look at it, I would have shrugged if 1-2 of the RIs, Fairfields, Springhills near Disney changed and at least giving us 1-4 category TPers an option and forewarning to use ASAP, but by changing all of them at one time, you are completely SOL unless you can quickly pull together a vacation. And I accept it is their right to do it, just saying it makes things that much tougher for me to use my TP and will make my decision for my upcoming 5 night stay in PDX to be switched to Hyatt so I can try to reach a milestone status on Hyatt and get 2 free lounge passes for 2020 much easier to stomach rather than stay at a Marriott as the redemption costs on their points just keep going up.