FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United App: discussion, bugs, ... (Android , IOS, ...) {Archive}
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:33 am
ajGoes

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't understand why people defend UA's destruction of a perfectly fine interface so they can cram more marketing down our throats.
I just don't see the ads as intrusive. They aren't animated and they disappear when there's important stuff coming up. The other improvements are significant. I don't think the old app was particularly well designed, but for experienced users, it does offer the benefit of being familiar. I think new users will find the new app much superior.

One feature I discovered and appreciated on my most recent trip was the animated map providing directions from gate to gate during a connection. It's infinitely better than the static terminal maps (which are still available). I've just popped up one of the static maps and I see it has directions available if you enter starting and ending points. I suppose this was available on the old app, but I never noticed it; it failed the "discoverability" test in user-interface design for me. Now, when you're in a Layover tab of the Trip Details window*, you can tap a link to get the directions map pre-loaded with your landing and departure gates.

*This is not the Reservation Details window which is carried over from the old app.