FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Points run to Tokyo? IS it doable and value?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:36 am
tobsw

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
If you really (REALLY) want those TP, go for it. But, I can guarantee you that going via BUD and DOH it's a long journey, especially on your way back when the holiday excitement is over (I did it in economy a few years back only £270 rtrn).

Personally, even though it is business or Qsuite on Qatar, I'd take a flight from LON to Japan non-stop in economy. After all, you are not that long in Japan either, and it's a great country, especially during your first visit.

In Japan, go for Japanese hotel chains, they are much cheaper than European/US chains. Their rooms are not big, but hopefully you should only be in there to sleep.

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
It's not a particularly good deal IMO. I paid £1,500 AMS-LHR-NRT-FRA-LHR on BA and JL last year. I've seen London-Tokyo for £1,400 on Air China in the last 12 months, obviously no avios but no need to position to Budapest either.

flatlander put it best - this is a holiday that happens to come with a slug of tier points

I find western hotels in Japan to be overpriced and/or dated. My advice would be to stick to mid-market Japanese brands which will always be spotless and are quite a cultural experience.
Spot on!
The money you save, use it for a cheap TP run to the USA.