FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi AA cards: General discussion and PUBLIC online offers (2019-2020)
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:39 pm
DaveInLA

Originally Posted by sdsearch
AFAIK no one will get a free checked bag (if you're not traveling on an international itinerary where everyone gets a free checked bag).

The free checked bag is associated with the account that has the card. Since there's nothing on this ticket that ties either your wife or you to your wife's account, there's no way to trigger the free checked bags. Your wife could try flashing her card at check-in, but if they compare names on the card to the name on the booking (or if the check-in person is not familiar with the card's benefits), that may not help.

You could go to the AA forum and ask if there is some way to change the FFN on one or both tickets to your wife's FFN. I'm not sure if that's possible at all, and there might be dangers (loss of ability to make changes to flight?) in doing that even if it possible.
I don't think this is correct.

The person who has the card simply has to be on the reservation. A few months ago, I booked an AA flight to Hawaii for my wife and I. I used my BA Avios and added my and my wife's AA numbers to the reservation. I used my credit card to pay the $5. I don't have any AA card but my wife does. We both got free checked bags because as long as the cardholder is on a reservation, everybody gets 1 free checked bag. That's my understanding.