FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MOBILE Flight Deck Secondary Barrier Galley Cart System
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:29 pm
MacLeanBarrier

Programs: http://www.maclean-scotus.info
Originally Posted by arttravel
Forgive me if my questions are stupid -- but where would it be stored with the standard drink cart? I do not hang out in the galley a lot, but there seems to be little room.
The same place or whichever one designated if 2019 H.R. 911 becomes law. If there's not enough room for one of my barrier systems, then you can put a standard drink cart in another galley in the mid-section or back of the aircraft.

About the synthetic opioid scenario -- Is no one going to notice a person putting on a personal respirator? On my last flights (international) the FAs were very vigilant when the carts were out, watching for any movement.
I routinely see passengers wearing the small white disposable respirators--especially when I fly to Asia.

Again, read what I just wrote about hoping the FAs have a full staff and are conscious of a rush-attack on an unlocked galley. I constantly see FAs not do what they are supposed to in order to stop a well-prepared suicidal attacker.

If someone starts shooting without the barrier, how would that help the terrorist get into the cockpit?
I don't understand why you are asking this question. The cockpit is bullet-proof, so if the door is closed the pilots are safe. Again, you cannot hijack a jet with a firearm post-9/11.

If a terrorist decides to do a few trial runs, would they not figure out where the mobile barrier is "hidden"?
Again, my barrier is stowed away and locked with a circuit-disturbance alarm. If someone tries to sabotage it, they will be detained upon landed. Similar situation when someone tried to disable the smoke alarms in the lavatories.

Has a prototype actually been built? From the drawings it looks as if there are areas where aerosol and bullets can pass as the upper barrier has rounded corners.
The drawings are not perfect and drawn for the patent examiners. My barrier cart will seal the forward galley. Regardless, my system will have (Naloxone) Narcan doses ready on the unit in the case that any opioids leak passed it. Remember, the cockpit door will only need to remain open for 2 seconds with my barrier. Right now, the door remains open 4 times too long because the pilot (1) unlocks it, (2) steps through, (3) steps aside for the flight attendant to switch with him/her, (4) then the flight attendant steps through.

Finally, and NO--your questions are not "stupid"--they are very good and need to be asked!

But frankly, the posters here are putting WAY TOO MUCH confidence in the age-limitless FAs never becoming COMPLACENT and ready to stop an attacker willing to sprint, dive, and die like the 19 hijackers on 9/11.