FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why Air Canada wine is globally sourced
View Single Post
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:23 am
meagicano

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE
Originally Posted by j2simpso
I don't understand what's wrong with AC sourcing wines from around the world. What's more Canadian than accepting people and culture that is different than ourselves? Sure, Canada does make good wine, but we are not an island, there are plenty of good wines from around the world which may in fact pair better with the context (i.e. food selection and being at 40,000 feet). There have been times where I'd grab a New Zealand white wine to pair with the fish I'm having for dinner. Last I checked, Canada doesn't make Champagne nor Bordeaux wines. Certainly the coffee nor tea served onboard AC flights wasn't grown in Canada.

Should there be more Canadian content on AC flights? If it makes sense - just because it has a maple leaf on it doesn't make it appropriate for the situation at hand. For instance, would you want to have a poutine on a 13 hour flight to Dubai? While it may be Canadian, it's certainly inappropriate for a flight that long. There's a lot to be proud about being Canadian, one of them is this acceptance of other cultures.

Safe Travels,

James
Air Canada should try to celebrate Canadian products as a flag carrier... beyond just wine, I’d also like to see Canadian beer and liquor products on offer. Iceberg vodka, Canadian beer vs the Molson Coors products, etc. I know it will never happen, but they have a unique opportunity to really showcase what Canada has to offer. In terms of non alcoholic drinks, They could easily get coffee roasted in Canada and tea blended by Canadians....

Canada doesn’t make Champagne or Bordeaux - you’re right. Mostly because those are geographically protected designations. Canada makes amazing sparkling wine and I’d gladly reach for something from Benjamin Bridge or Hinterland.

Bordeaux... that’s a blend of up to five grapes. We grow all of them in Canada. Laughing Stock’s Portfolio Blend would be much better than any Bordeaux Air Canada is serving.

Air Canada serves global wines because it’s cheaper than paying Canadian producers. The economics of Canadian wine are challenging. A $10 Spanish wine is going to drink a lot better than a $10 Canadian wine. I’d challenge you to find a food served on AC that won’t pair with a single Canadian wine and thus needs an international wine - but it’s a waste of time. Our wine scene is diverse enough that it can stand up against anything served on-board.

edited to add: I don’t mean AC should serve Cellared in Canada plonk... nor should they serve bad Canadian wine just to be Canadian...