FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:16 pm
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
11. Although you arrived in Laughlin, Nevada via an airport shuttle from Las Vegas, you enjoyed such a nice run of luck on the craps tables that you can now afford to fly back home to Mountain View, California directly from the airport closest to Laughlin. Identify the closest airports to the aforementioned departure and arrival cities along with the airline and equipment serving this route with daily service.

I believe the airport which serves Laughlin is actually located in another state: Arizona. We are talking about Bullhead City, of course, which can be found just across the mighty Colorado River from Laughlin. And the closest airport to Mountain View in lovely Santa Clara County (well, it was lovely and downright bucolic once upon a time when I was quite young but is now much more urban in nature) would be San Jose. This brings us to Reno Air operating either an MD-80 or MD-87 between BHC and SJC. I'll go with the MD-80.

Well now, to describe the Colorado River as "mighty" is a bit of a stretch at Laughlin, but it is indeed the border between Nevada and Arizona and you'll find the airport that serves it located just across the river on a low bluff above Bullhead City. I visited there once when a (gasp! OMG! eek 747SP was resting quietly on the tarmac under the hot desert sun. But I digress. When it comes to flights between Bullhead City and San Jose, Reno Air and its MD80s is an excellent guess. Unfortunately, in this instance however, we're looking for a different airline and aircraft. Please, guess again!

20. This U.S. airline operated affordable flights between New York, Miami and three central American cities. Because it is a U.S. airline however, you can take advantage of its affordable fare between Newark (EWR) and Miami. Identify the airline and the jet type you’ll be flying upon.

Ah, I think I actually remember this air carrier: Challenge International Airlines. If so, the equipment may have been a B737-200.

Yep, that's the one! It would have ceased operations not long after this flight. Here's the schedule:

Challenge Air International VV 101 Newark (EWR) 900a-1140a Miami (MIA) 737-200 X15
Breakfast served enroute

26. It used to be that if you wanted to fly on a jet out of Sept-Iles, Quebec, you’d board a Quebecair BAC-111. These days it’s a different single airline operating a different type of jet. Identify the airline and the jet type operated.

Following the demise of Quebecair, I do not believe there was ever too much in the way in jet service into Sept-Iles (Seven Iles) in Quebec province (although once upon a time Quebecair operated not only the BAC One-Eleven into YZV but also the B727-100). In fact, only one airline comes to mind: Intair operating a Fokker 100.

Correct! Although it served primarily destinations in Quebec, its Fokker 100s were also seen in New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Ontario.