FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Will existing "Points Advance" reservations raise in price on March 5th???
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:30 pm
nexusCFX

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Happy
Did you receive the "free" points?

My recollection has been, in the past when the point advance bookings have gone up in category, you called and the CS deposited pts to your account and then ordered the certs. HOWEVER, when you canceled the bookings, you did NOT get the windfall points - the system returned the EXACT pts that paid from your existing balance, NOT incl the difference manually deposited. Been done this in the past years a few times - not a single time I received any "windfall".

Unless you actually have received such extra, I would say it would be just in your conjecture - the system does not work the way you described, at least not in the past. Point advance or TP cert booking without attaching certs and hotel category goes up are not something new or invented - it has always been fine by the mechanism you described, but at cancellation, the system is smart enough to only refund what is rightfully yours. No windfall.
Obviously I got the extra points back or I wouldn't have stated with certainty as to how the system works in my post.