FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The oneworld explorer ticket FAQs
View Single Post
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:14 pm
jerry a. laska
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by anabolism
This has been discussed quite a bit before, and I believe the consensus is that a ticket reissue is not supposed to trigger the $125 reroute fee. Some airlines, such as AA, never revalidate, they always reissue for any change, and they only charged me the $125 fee when I've changed the airports that were touched. As it happens, I am in a situation now where I have an agency-issued xONEx and the agency tells me they are prohibited from revalidating, and their interpretation of the rules is that any reissue does trigger the $125 fee.
I am aware that this has been discussed before but I would disagree that in those discussions "the consensus is that a ticket reissue is not supposed to trigger the $125 reroute fee". My impression of the discussion here and elsewhere is that a change from a transit to a stopover requires a reissue, which results in the $125 fee ,unless the agent or station is doesn't know they are supposed to charge the fee or is just se happy to have the reissue completed they forget or don't want to deal with it.

Based upon my experience and the previous discussions, I usually try to issue with all my ticketed points as stopovers (even ones where I am just transmitting) to provide greater flexibility and avoid reissues. If the cost of issuing as a stopover is much much greater that a transit I will on occasion book as a transit. I understand that this can result in a greater overall cost but it is one I am willing to take to avoid having to deal with an inexperienced agent or station trying to do a reissue.