FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Locations with "Non-Standard" Emerald Club Practices & Inconsistent Customer Service
Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:12 pm
NCLSEA123

Locations with "Non-Standard" Emerald Club Practices & Inconsistent Customer Service

Hi Everyone,

I've had a few recent rentals at one location where I've experienced "inconsistent" operating practices and an "abnormal" renting experience compared to most other National locations. I'm just curious if there are other locations out there where non-standard rental practices are occurring and how or if you provided feedback on them.

At the Peachtree Corners, GA location as an Executive Elite member, I encountered the following items inconsistent with my experience with the National brand. I have not had these experiences at any other National location.

- I was asked to pull up a utility bill on my phone to prove my identity since I had an out-of-state drivers license.

- A sign on the counter indicated that upgrades for Executive members were $25 a day, while upgrades for Executive Elite members were $15 a day. When renting here, I usually don't receive an upgrade unless they need to one-way a car class that doesn't belong out of the station.

- They charged me a $250 deposit, with a line item labeled "other charge" at the time of rental. To top it off, this line item was taxable, raising my estimated rental charges by over $270. They indicated that the charge would be removed upon my rental's return, and that this practice had been standard at their location since May 2018. (As a side note, I had another rental there last month and was not charged this). I asked the agent to hand write that the charge was refundable on the contract, which she agreed to do begrudgingly, and sure enough, I had to get the manager involved at the return station at TYS, and they had no idea why a deposit would be done this way.

- I was made to initial and sign the rental agreement, when normally it's just grab the agreement and go as an Executive Elite/Emerald Club member.

- We did the full "walk-around" and I had to sign a separate slip with an agent indicating that I agreed with the condition of the car.

Overall this experience felt very neighborhood location "Enterprise-ish," and I suspect that the management team, including regional management has very little operating experience with the National brand, and is forcing Enterprise operating practices for the area into the National operation. While I certainly understand that additional risk management steps may need to be undertaken in certain areas, I don't believe that Executives or Executive Elites renting multiple times of year pose the same risk as someone renting a car once or twice a year.

I did provide feedback to the location manager and area manager via email, however they seemed disinterested and essentially said, "this is how we do things because we're different."

What other inconsistent or unusual things have you guys experienced?