FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Going different ways - UA to expand premium seating. Will AA respond?
Old Feb 8, 2019, 4:30 pm
Hipplewm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ashill
You didn't say anything about your definition of "hub" only referring to international flights. And since the main topic of the thread is UA's addition of premium seats on narrowbody flights, I certainly didn't assume you were talking only international. DCA still has a distance perimeter rule with limited exemptions; there are no exemptions for intercontinental flights.

And do you avoid DCA due to safety concerns? If so, I think you are deeply misguided. If you avoid DCA because your travels don't bring you to the area DCA serves well (Virginia inside the Beltway and DC), that's perfectly fair. But for my money it's just about the most pleasant decent-sized airport to fly out of in the US.

DCA has no Customs available for commercial flights, so the only international service is to airports with preclearance within the perimeter (or, in principle, with an exemption eg YVR or even DUB/SNN/AUH, but there are no current exemptions for cities outside the US), including the two you mention.
I never said why I avoid DCA other than due to Air Florida. It isn't safety as much as the sights and sounds as I had a field trip to Wash DC 2 days after and yeah, it is just one of those things. I know airline travel is the safest and i know tons and tons and tons of flights have taken off and landed safely there since that day. BUT, I ain't flying in or out, it is really that simple. I don't live near it now, and i fly UA but generally try and maintain EXP on AA for emergencies, I just never fly AA if it requires routing thru DCA.

Also, I was basing my remarks about DCA and other Hubs in general on Int'l travel although the OP was talking single aisle planes, they are increasing 767 J seats out of EWR and ORD only. That said i was strictly replying against the guy who was talking about the relative merits of the Hubs.

I still believe that AA doesn't have a viable international Hub in Wash DC, however OW has a decent presence at IAD along with UA. UA also in addition to flying all over EU has flights to NRT from IAD and it will soon be a 787 base and most EU flights will be 787's