FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Seattle Snowpocalypse Feb 8-12 2019 Megathread
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:31 am
film_girl

Programs: Delta Diamond , Marriott Ambassador, Alaska MVP Gold, American Airlines Gold
Originally Posted by BenA

As a long time transplant, I’ve got kind of a mixed view on it. On one hand, yes, everyone panics - the photos of grocery stores last night that looked like a plague of locusts had descended were hilarious. And people don’t follow common snow courtesy - leave more stopping distance on the road, shovel your sidewalk, remove snow from your car before driving, etc.

On the other hand, the city’s snow removal is legit bad - I heard a rumor there are only 32 plows for the entire Puget Sound area, which is probably as many as my small 50k person hometown in Virginia owned. And our usually-warmer weather means we get a lot more ice and sleet that causes super hazardous conditions. Combine that with the extreme hills and domed roads, and with the local reluctance to salt roads due to runoff worries (the salmon will be fine folks, you’re gonna salt them before smoking them anyway!)...
I’m a relatively new transplant, but this matches what I’ve observed perfectly. Coming from the east coast (NYC), seeing just how bad the city is at snow removal is really stunning. I live in Cap Hill and work in Redmond and seeing how both the east and west side suffered was really something.

I was able to get out of SEA-TAC on a 6am flight today but I’ve got colleagues in the airport and according to the Slack photos, security practically out the door (starts downstairs).

At at this point, for anyone who needs to fly out tonight or tomorrow for a long haul, I’d consider driving to YVR and trying from there instead. I just had a colleague make that decision so he won’t miss a flight to SYD.