FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - “Are you <insert job title> with your company?”
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:55 am
The Situation

Originally Posted by LA2CDG
I'm sure there is some research somewhere, I agree with vincentharris, slightly off topic but in the same vein, about two years ago, when I checked into an SPG property in the UAE, they had printed out my LinkedIn profile and printed on a thank you note in the room. I didn't appreciate, I think that goes too far. If you want to thank me, thank me for my loyalty and the level I have achieved. Are they googling every guest? it was weird and a bit unsettling for me. Others might appreciate it.
Any time we meet with customers (existing or potential) or job candidates, we always google them. The primary reason is so that we are prepared to answer questions that they might ask and know what not to say and if we are providing lunch, any foods to avoid (i.e. if they are a member of PETA, we won't be providing a buffet of meat skewers). We don't want to look dumb. It is really odd that they printed your linkedin profile, not that they googled you - in doing so they look dumb. Subtlety is key.

I actually don't mind FAs having information about my work. FAs frequently initiate conversations with and they often ask about my work (which I like to talk about). They are curious in a nice way, not a jealous way, about how I am able to fly as much and often in the pointy end of plane, as young as I am. I get some really good service in return and as I travel more, I have had a couple FAs a second time and they remember me and provide me excellent service.