FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - “Are you <insert job title> with your company?”
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:53 am
YOUR_FAVORITE_AUDITOR

Originally Posted by vincentharris
They are a multi billion dollar global company, I KNOW they A) dont care who I am B) care what my status is C) care if I use their service or not.
Slow down there, friend. That multi-billion dollar company wants to know much more about you, to encourage you to spend more and earn them another billion.

Data is becoming the lifeblood of many charities, and consumer facing companies. In a previous job I was an auditor for a well known consulting firm, and I've heard stories from fellow auditors. There are consumer-facing companies and charities out there, if you exceed X amount of spend with them (where X is typically 10k+) will assign an intern or a low ranking employee to Google/use information services to look up information about you, including:

1. Your address, picture of your house, and try to estimate your income from the size/location of your house (in the US, real estate records are public and are often accessible via the county recorder's website)
2. LinkedIn/FB/Twitter/whatever social media accounts you have, and if you're an "influencer" (in other words, if you have a bad experience at a hotel, will you tweet about it to millions+ listeners?)
3. Personal information such as your family size, if you're married, etc (for instance: sending you an offer for a spa discount, hoping that your wife will see it)
4. Some companies will soft-pull your credit score (doesn't effect your credit score) to send you preapproved offers of credit cards and so forth.

It's getting cheaper and cheaper to do this every day, which is why there are some laws being proposed to limit where your data goes.