FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Seattle Snowpocalypse Feb 8-12 2019 Megathread
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:30 am
BenA

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by steveman518
Unrelated to SEA, but UW will be closed Friday beginning at 12:30PM and all day Saturday. I'm relatively new to SEA (originally from the northeast) and it's hilarious how people here handle winter weather.
As a long time transplant, I’ve got kind of a mixed view on it. On one hand, yes, everyone panics - the photos of grocery stores last night that looked like a plague of locusts had descended were hilarious. And people don’t follow common snow courtesy - leave more stopping distance on the road, shovel your sidewalk, remove snow from your car before driving, etc.

On the other hand, the city’s snow removal is legit bad - I heard a rumor there are only 32 plows for the entire Puget Sound area, which is probably as many as my small 50k person hometown in Virginia owned. And our usually-warmer weather means we get a lot more ice and sleet that causes super hazardous conditions. Combine that with the extreme hills and domed roads, and with the local reluctance to salt roads due to runoff worries (the salmon will be fine folks, you’re gonna salt them before smoking them anyway!)...