FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help planning BeNeLux trip :)
View Single Post
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:51 am
snic

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by ShopAround
But the trains were inexpensive and efficient. The only annoyance was that the ticket machines won't accept a signature credit card, only chip and PIN, so I had to wait on line to buy tickets. Otherwise, I found it very easy to get around with public transportation - but I didn't have a small child with me.
The OP still has time to get a chip+pin card (e.g., from First Tech credit union), which is a must for any American traveling to Europe. It really does make your life easier.

Re trains and babies - I'm not sure a car is necessarily any easier. You have to hassle with the car seat. Public transit is really only a problem with a baby if you have lots of other stuff to haul around. And if you have to stand in a crowded bus or train. But usually someone will let you sit if you're carrying a baby, especially if the baby is cute. (In fact, sometimes only the parent has to be cute.)

Re itinerary, Bruges, Ghent and Amsterdam are all worth spending time in. Brussels, not so much, but you could spend half a day or so there on the way to somewhere else. 18 months might be a bit young to appreciate the differences between trains, boats and cars, but since your kid likes to be on the move, consider canal tours in Ghent or Amsterdam.

Also, consider AirBnB rather than hotels. You can get way more space for the same amount of money, and you can sort of "live like a local" (e.g., in Bruges, we stayed in an apartment complex just outside the historic district, and I went to the bakery every morning for bread and pastries - the only other people in line were locals). Also if you eat a meal or two everyday at home rather than a restaurant, the savings can be considerable (and you don't have to worry about a squirmy kid bothering other diners). Just check with the host about whether their place is appropriate for an 18 month old.

Last edited by snic; Feb 8, 2019 at 8:58 am