FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ameriprise Amex Platinum (discontinued October 2019)
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:46 am
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Willbur
I imagine it'd still be around if they actually checked if you had an Ameriprise relationship.
I doubt it would still be around. My bet is that the only way this would still be around or come back is if Amex and Ameriprise came to a new agreement whereby Ameriprise puts money on the table for Amex and Amex sees money come more directly its way. And even then I have my doubts that an Ameriprise Amex card would be back to being almost an exact ditto copy of the regular Amex Platinum and almost an exact ditto copy of the same benefits.

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Yes, but the loophole, such as it was, only became widely known a couple years ago.
What loophole? The ability to get this card (repeatedly at that) for no annual fee the first year has been known about for many years.

Amex is now more desperate for fee revenue than before and so eliminating fee waivers and raising fees is the order of the day. Amex is also on overdrive toward increasing revenue from other fees/charges beside just annual fees.

I am not one to cry about others lawfully getting a better deal than myself just because I’m not willing or able to jump thru the same hoops to get the same result, so it didn’t bother me that I paid annual fees for Amex Plat cards while the Ameriprise version was fee waived in ways. The big issue is that this is part and parcel of what I mentioned in my prior paragraph in this post. How will that be good for anyone beside Amex (and its shareholders)? It won’t be for most.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 8, 2019 at 1:52 am