FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:57 pm
CanadaDH

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by habshabs444
Anyone have any recent experience receiving the "suite life" benefits while using suite upgrade certs? I was looking to burn my last certs and was able to double up my suite certs to go from a base Fairmont room to a Lakeview 1 bdrm suite for Family Day weekend. Per the website and the email that was subsequently sent from the suite concierge team details all of the amenities including free breakfast and valet parking amongst other more inconsequential items. I reached out the suite concierge to make some reservations and asked about the breakfast and parking and was told that parking was not included in my rate, but breakfast was. I sent back a link to the suite benefits from the Fairmont website and she came back with "I apologize about the confusion as I have conveyed the wrong information to you. Investigating deeper into your reservation I see that you are using a suite upgrade certificate. Unfortunately many amenities are not offered under those terms such as valet parking, however I have made the exception and added the amenity to your stay." Not sure if that means breakfast is included or excluded? I may just roll the dice and argue at checkout that breakfast was stated as included.

This is our first time at CLL in probably 8 or 9 years as we prefer BSH, but were just there with the kids last weekend and decided to branch out with one last hurrah of the suite upgrades.
My experience suggest the later information you received is correct. The suite life benefits only apply when booking a 1 Bedroom Suite Category or higher. If you book Jr. Suite or lower and upgrade into a 1 Bedroom Suite, you might get lucky, but I have been told they technically don't apply. The upgrade certificate gets you the better suite. I have received the benefits when booking a 1 Bed Lakeview Suite and upgrading to a 2-Bed Lakeview Suite, or booking a Gold Lakeview 1 Bed Suite and upgrading to the Marquis de Lorne Suite, but have been denied them more often than not when upgrading from anything lower than a 1 Bed Suite.

I'll be checking into the CLL myself on the Saturday of the Family Day weekend, also in a Lakeview One Bedroom Suite, and will stay a week using up a couple of certs, before moving east to Banff Springs for another burn of a Suite Upgrade over there and my Authentically Local Dining cert at the 1888 Chop. It should be a good last use of them.

We might bump into each other!