FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Drake Oak Brook, Autograph Collection - Oak Brook, IL [Master Thread]
Old Feb 7, 2019, 5:47 pm
Horace

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Here's my take on all properties/brands. Could care less 'before it became Marriott'. DO care 'after it became Marriott'. So think the avoid is a bit silly based on 'before MAR', especially when the property is closed for months for renovation.

I look forward to trip reports after the property has re-opened, whether they be good or bad. Moving on...

Cheers.
I agree that what really matters — from the perspective of this forum — is whether it's a good place stay after Marriott officially signs off and it becomes an Autograph Collection property.

The Drake Oak Brook is not closed for renovation. It closed in 2009 under previous owners. It reopened in 2015 under the current owner after a major renovation/restoration, and it's been open ever since. It seems there's more to be done (or to be redone) before Marriott gives its blessing,

Of course, one thing that won't change is the location. The hotel is at Cermak Road (aka 22nd Street) and York Road, less than 2 miles west of Oakbrook Center shopping mall — where there are a lot of good restaurants. In comparison, the Chicago Marriott Oak Brook is across the street from Oakbrook Center, and Le Meridien Chicago Oakbrook Center is on that mall's parking lot.

The Drake Oak Brook consists of two separate buildings, connected by a covered porte cochere canopy. That means if your room is in the second building, you have to go outside to go to the main building with the lobby, restaurant, and lounges. You shouldn't get wet, because the canopy, but it could be very cold, briefly.

I'm a big fan of Marriott's Autograph Collection. It's nice to stay in a hotel with a personality and a local identity.

By joining Autograph Collection five years after reopening, The Drake Oak Brook seems to be admitting that it was a mistake to "go it alone." My guess is that they did well on weekends with weddings and other social events, but that they lost business travelers during the week, especially those who collect points and who have elite status.

Last edited by Horace; Feb 7, 2019 at 5:59 pm