FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Stellenbosch and Fraenschhoek (1st visit)
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalker78341
Suspended

Stellenbosch and Fraenschhoek (1st visit)

Have a trip to ZA coming up quite soon (in about four weeks) and somehow I haven't comprehensively planned the three days I'd like to spend in the Winelands. In no particular order, interests are old towns and architecture, food and wine, and scenery/nature.

For a first visit, do you think it makes sense to stay nights one and two in Fraenschhoek (looking at the Protea there) and night three in Stellenbosch?

The thing is, I'm not really comfortable with left-hand driving. Also not comfortable driving after a drinking even small amounts of alcohol.

From this forum, I found out in an older thread that Uber and Rikki's taxi are reasonably cost-effective options to get from Cape Town (city centre) to Fraenschhoek and Stellenbosch.

But I'm unsure how difficult it will be to get around (e.g., to and from wine estates) without a rental in Stellenbosch and Fraenschhoek. Also, I'm sure I can get taxis or a driver to and from Cape Town, but what about the relatively short distance between Fraenschhoek and Stellenbosch?

And one last question: I'll be travelling solo for this part of the trip. I am aware of safety practices to follow in Cape Town. Should one follow the same practices in those smaller towns in the winelands or are those considered "safe"?

Those were quite a few questions. Thanks for any suggestions even on a subset of them.