FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Speculation on Hawaii Fares?
View Single Post
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:22 pm
jm1991

Programs: Marriott Gold (1st choice) BW Diamond (2nd)
Originally Posted by mel2012
We've been eagerly waiting for the Southwest Hawaii service to start in anticipation of booking for a summer vacation. We need to book six tickets (plus two free companion tickets), so obviously it makes a big difference in my budget whether tickets are $300 or $600. Also, I've been stocking up on discount Southwest gift cards whenever Raise has a sale, so I'd like to have a better gauge of how much more I need to buy.

I've read several articles speculating that prices could be "as low as" $99 to $139 each way, which just seems ridiculously low to me. Even in the low season, flights from Sacramento to Hawaii are rarely below $400 round trip. If I were to book my summer dates right now with Alaska or Hawaiian, the round trip would be $730 per person. So there's a lot of room for Southwest to undercut current carriers without going to bargain basement prices.

Anyone have any wild guesses as to where the fares will land?
I could see tickets being at like 139 on the off season or when they have a sale but for summer when traveling to Hawaii is in more demand they will most likely be still 200+. Also we dont know yet when they will open up for bookings and when the first flights will be available. It would be wise to just book an alternative if you are set to go. I imagine there's a lot of people watching carefully for this so flights may be sold out within hours for more desirable dates, specially with southwest's cancellation and refund policy.