FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wild speculation on UA's new strategy for Polaris, Upgrades and Award Space
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:45 am
Artpen100

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
The pricing problem mainly seems to be in the first part of 2019. I've found $2.8K RT TATL discount business for two flights in May and June and while doing a little early research even found PZ on flights for dates that are pretty set in stone for the fall. (Per my usual practice, when I find that, I book it. Worst case is a change fee.) For the spring, I've been booking more BA, even though I am not keen on connecting at LHR due to the short initial flight. They do have more upgrade space, though.

What UA revenue management is doing eludes me (I know they pay a lot of money to do it - I am also familiar enough with it to question whether it is working optimally). On international, they seem to be doing contradictory things - trying to charge more and advertising Polaris while degrading the experience, putting in more J seats while taking away PZ and loyalty benefits. Maybe they think they have found a way to get more money for a lesser product, but count me skeptical.