FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:40 am
nldogbert

Near perfect stay - truly subtly luxurious

Location This property is situated in the Dubai Dessert Conservation reserve area. It is about an hour+ drive from Dubai (depending on traffic). To access the resort, you will need to first pass through the reserve entrance which is a guarded area and not open to public unless you have a booking at the resort or travel with one of the affiliated travel companies which organizes the different desser activities from Dubai. There is no other facilities within walking distance and it takes about 20-30 mins just to get from the gate of the reserve to the lobby of the hotel. There are ample parking facilities at the resort. There are no public transportation that reaches the resort. Check In After the checkpoint to enter the reserve, my arrival must have been passed on to the hotel as on approach to the front entrance of the main Lobby building, there was already an associate waiting for me and pointed me to where I should park. Bags were taken from the car and keys handed in (I guess this is for security and safety reasons - I did not ask since I was not going to use it anyway until departure).We were brought into the building and to a separate sitting area where welcome drinks and hot towels were brought. The check-in procedure and run down of the facilities and dining options was done during this whole process. After this, we were given a quick tour of the main building - which is where the bar, access to the main (and only) restaurant Al Diwaan, tea time area, library, onsite shop and business centre was located. This was also the main area where guests are expected to be (~10 mins) before the start of their chosen activities. The next stop was the suite - you are brought to your suite by a buggy (which you can request too from your suite back to the main building). Room I was assigned to a suite about 5-10 mins walk away from the main building. The suite is designed in the Bedouin-camp style. I believe that I've read in some reviews of guests complaining that it's outdated, which to me is certainly not outdated (yes maybe if you are expecting some modern design) but it is designed to be rustic and reflection of the culture.The entrance hallway is quite long with tea/coffee making facilities, a (complimentary) sherry, glasses, a powder table and the minibar. There is also the doorway to the bathroom. At the end of the entrance is a pair of doors for main part of the suite.The room had no physical divides, but it was clearly separated into different sections, the bed, working area, sitting area, TV area with a nice touch of a drawing stand (and pads). The wardrobe is integrated into same cupboard where the TV is located.The seating area is two love seat/chair. On the table, there were some welcome gifts - consisting of nuts/dates and fruits. I guess all guests receive this upon arrival.Surrounding nearly 1/2 circumference of the room are glass doors which gives you a 180 deg view of the dessert and the private deck/pool. On the deck, you have 2 pool chairs and a small table for 2 for dining. Each suite is separated from your neighbouring suite by palm woven walls. The bed was nice and big (I believe you can fit up to 3 average sized person). Though the only small improvement is that maybe it's time to have a new top mattrass. Internet was good and fast - basically this was accessible throughout the property. Temperature control in the room was good - airconditioning was not really needed during the day time and mainly only during the night when all doors are closed. They do have ample plugs around the room and 2 USB charges next to each side of the bed. The plugs are the usual British/UAE type of plugs. Did not find any other type. Bathroom was as expected really big, with both bath tub and walk in shower. Toiletries were from Buvgari and they came in big bottles. [for those that have stayed before at the Ritz Carlton in Seoul - this are the exact same range]. There is ample towels available with 2 pool towels provided. There's 2 wash basins.Guests will never be dehydrated here as there are more than sufficient water bottles available including 2 1.5 liter ones. Coffee is from Nespresso - with one of the largest variety that I've ever seen. As mentioned earlier, they do have quite a nice sherry complimentary in the room - which is very welcome as a night cap.The deck area was really nice to spend the whole day having a down time. Pool was very well kept with the water temperature perfect. Around the area, the animals (mainly the Arabian Gazelle - which you see roaming every where on the property). These gazelle's I am told are used to human but still, I would advise to not feed them as this really disturbs their natural food chain and it is not good for them. Although I have seen lots of other guests feeding it just for their photo op. [On my last day, the area was hit with a mild sandstorm and later the unique rainstorm - so the whole deck area and pool was literally covered in sand and leaves.]Every evening, there's a nightly turndown service. Dining As it was full board, 3 meals per day was included. Guests have the option to have all 3 meals in their suite or at the main restaurant. I opted mainly for the restaurant except once where I had lunch on the deck.Breakfast: There is a nice spread on offer, but most of the items are a la carte, with only specific items needing additional payment (for example caviar). Other than that, it was a good variety of options and quality was good.Lunch: This is a 3-coarse meal. Options are again a mix of Western and Arabic options. Quality was way above what I expected - I would say it was up to bib-gourmand level. For me, both the steak and lamb - one of the best I've eaten (outside of my onboard meal in First on JAL/Etihad). For full board, only the still water from the jug is free, other than that, bottled water and other beverages are chargable. [I am however told that water at the resort is underground water - so it's really fresh and safe - and I can vow for that]Dinner: Dinner is a 5 course affair - amuse, starter, amuse, main, desert. For dinner, guests can also opt for a Sri Lankan rice table for an additional cost. I did not try this option as I've had such a meal before and I guess nothing will beat those in Sri Lanka. All in all - the options and variety for all 3 meals were more than sufficient and really of top quality (and quantity). After the 2 nights, I was totally stuffed. Coffee and tea service is also included in the full board.One only small improvement would be I would have liked to see some more exotic local meat such as camel included. This would have added to the exoticness of the menu.Outside of this, they too have a tea time session - with small assortiment of cakes, small bites and sweets available close to the bar area.Prices for the soft drinks and alcoholic drinks were on par/expected at such a property. However, they do have an interesting happy hour where it makes the prices not too absurd - so a big thumbs up to the management on this for not only thinking of squeezing every thing out of the guest.To sum it all you will never feel hungry at this place. Service As expected service here was very good. All staff were friendly and helpful. Of course as usual there were some that were better than others, but in general very good service. The same goes for the field guides/rangers that handled the different activities - they were knowledgable and informative. Activities The resort for every night that you spend at the hotel 2 complimentary activities that you can choose from. If I remember correctly only 2 activities requires additional payment - horse riding and dune bashing. Since I've done both before, I just went for the complimentary ones. Since I had 2 nights, I did the - Camel Sunset ride - which brings you about 20 mins to the dunes to watch the sunset with the resort as the background. They had some sparking wine, soft drinks and some tidbits at the end. [another option was to go there via 4x4]- Wildlife drive - this was towards the evening to watch the Arabian Orxy, Gazelles, other desert animals and some of the desert trees. Some time was given at the dunes to take picture where there was a view of the mountains separating UAE and Oman. [there is also an option of wildlife walk - but this is early in the AM]- Falconary - an educational activity showing of the resort in house falcons and eagle. - Archery - a simple activity just for the fun of it. Although equipment here was a bit used, so would be nice if they replaced them with newer ones. Overall All in all, one of top 3 stays which left me wanting to stay longer. I would even put this stay above my previous experience in the Maldives - but of course that is a whole different environment and activities. However I would say if anyone is looking for a true down time, this is a very good option - what I like best is the subtle luxury that does not come with other places where you had to show your blings.One small improvement would be if the resort will have just something to differenciate or add that special touch for showing appreciation to the Marriott Elite status guests. [Room upgrade will most probably not be the one - as I would not know what to do with a 2nd room, but maybe something like a special gift or a bottle of wine or something]