FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Impressed with the new Air France Economy service!
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:32 pm
BobTL

Originally Posted by Concerto
I agree, I find that Air France economy service is above average. At the moment I think KLM is even better. Instead of going to crap, like BA, AF have gone for quality. Having said that, the food service of my business class flights to Moscow back in the autumn resembled a school dinner. So I am in the odd position of pronouncing that AF economy is better than AF business in Europe!
I agree. But both carriers are stepping up their game. KLM is investing a lot on their catering, which was also necessary. I think they offer one of the best short and long haul products Y products. The service and atmosphere on board is always SO good. It’s like coming home. Short haul J is improved as well, but I do really think they they still lack good catering on the long haul J product. It is all SO no nonsense Dutch. The food in J isn’t groundbreaking, mediocre I would say. Not really bad but certainly not good like Qatar and Air France.

Speaking of, I always liked their catering. It doesn’t have to be complicated but I am a sucker for a well made, good quality croissant and cup of coffee on a short haul morning flight. Hop! and AF offer that and it is really good! On long haul Y, AF isn’t better than KLM, they lack personality. The same can be said of J long haul but the food is really much better than KLM. Better presentation, just more exclusive. I saw the other day that KLM had “hutspot” as a dish on long haul J. Sorry, it is Dutch uncomplicated farmer-food and while OK in Y, in J it is truly unacceptable when paying a high fare. FYI it’s mashed potatoes with carrots and onions with some meat. It’s OK to refer to Dutch heritage which they do anyway a lot, but the food in long haul J needs to improve. AF is always doing a great job. Love their dishes.
That being said, many of the flight attendants on long haul J, the experienced ones, are in general not doing a difference. Once flying in J from JFK to CDG, I woke up 30 min before landing and I asked for a cup of coffee and a croissant (I do understand it’s too late for a full breakfast). She said no. I said: come on: it’s 30 min? She walked away rolling eyes and returned with a half cup of lukewarm coffee and a croissant. But her body language told me: you are the most annoying pax of the last 30 years. That will never ever happen on a KLM flight. It is simply not good enough when paying a high fare. That behavior is for Y, not for J. No even not Y. Just act normal.