FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The oneworld explorer ticket FAQs
View Single Post
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:09 pm
anabolism

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by scotbus7
However, when I called to confirm and pay for my booking today, a member of the BA commercial team with whom I spoke informed me that the USD125 fee applies for any and all changes... When I challenged her on this (because I have literally never come across anything online that states this to be the case), I was informed that the reason is because of the class of my ticket (economy) being less flexible.
First, welcome to FT!

You are correct in that simple date/time/carrier changes do not incur the $125 USD re-route fee. However, not all agents understand this. Further, some airlines at some offices impose a reissue service charge regardless of if the $125 fee applies. You shouldn't have to pay the $125 USD fee unless you are changing any of the airports that have been ticketed (regardless of being a stop versus a connection).

Have you started the trip yet? It's generally much easier to make changes after one or more flight coupons have been marked as used (which might take a couple of days after flying a flight). The rules allow free date/time/airline changes even before departure, but it's usually easier to fly first and then have dates changed on flights you have not yet flown.

How did you book the ticket? That's important, as some agents and some airlines are easier to deal with.