FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:15 pm
STS-134

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by physics
What I am (and I think others are) curious about is what made Chase suddenly look at and review my account after them being fine with the status quo for months. Hence the speculation: high UR balance, payments from multiple checking accts, high statement balance, bad luck,...? If chase simply ran a predictable algorithm whereby they did credit pulls and every one over N/24 got dumped, there would be a LOT more closed reports here.
I'm curious: of the 18 CCs you opened in the last 24 months, how many did you continue to spend money on, and how many did you "abandon" as soon as the sign up bonus was paid? Now credit reports don't show all activity on these cards, but they DO show the current balance and high balance, and by doing soft pulls at different times of the month, Chase can infer whether you were actually spending anything on those cards or not. They probably also know what the sign up bonus is and what spending thresholds trigger them; if a card has a sign up bonus for spending $3K and they saw your balance hit $3K on the first month, then go to $0 and never budge again, they'd probably identify you as the type of customer who doesn't continue to spend money on cards after opening them. Actually, when did Chase do their soft pulls, and what was your balance on those 18 cards at the times they did? You should be able to pull your credit report and see Chase's soft pulls.

But the strange thing is, you said you hit 60% of your CL on your CSP for 6 months in a row and then paid it off. How much of that was bonus category (dining, travel, etc) spend and how much of that was non bonus spend? I'm assuming we're talking about at least a mid 5 figure or 6 figure CL here? It's not like you were entirely unprofitable if you were putting that much spend on your CSR...