FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Toronto Parkway North Hotel [Master Thread]
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:11 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
had another 4 night stay here, this time upgraded (plat) by a friendly front desk agent to a suite in a_63 room in the york tower, and this time i was more behaved and worked out and took my breakfasts. this tower has a lot of corners and nooks so i'd say you have very high chance for upgrades and enhancements here as a plat.

the plat breakfast downstairs is, ugh. during my first/last visit, the host tried convincing me to go upstairs, and i had to push (ie not give in to his request) to sit down there. he then punched me in on his screen, printed my receipt, and then seated me. he presented a comp'd receipt with a pen, obviously the opportunity to leave gratuity. someone else on this thread said they were told it was "an auditing thing", i say bs, that's just a tacky attempt to receive tips for simply doing their job. the spread is average (lots of asian options) but the food all very meh; scrambled eggs are too thick and way overcooked, cold cuts were getting stale, cheese isn't fresh, fruit is nothing more than watermelon and pineapple. at 0630 i was told the egg cook wouldn't be on until 0700. so i wait for egg cook, friendly person but he can't do poached eggs. then the server gets me some, but in this "ok i'll do this for you as a favor" sort of way. no coffee machine, just regular coffee or oj. just very mediocre and i did not appreciate the service. i know it's canada but ugh. i just ate in the club lounge from that point forward just sticking to fruit, cold cuts, and crossaints, all of which were sufficient, and i was left alone by the staff that either clearly did not want to be there or were only there for tips. man what a tough awakening after a 20 day project in japan.

the indoor (wintertime) pool is good enough for lengths. the sauna is nice and large, i'd say it is in 80-85c range so way above average. no hot tub.

on the sheraton side next to the spa, there is that typical dinky, sheraton fitness center setup: a couple treadmills, free weights, bland sheraton peach and red paint, and a bench.

fortunately the parkway racket club is past a walk thru the best western side. no clue if they're going to convert those to sheraton or just keep it best western under 1 mgmt. the parkway racket club is dated but it's well kempt, clean, and the staff very nice, and most importantly it has a PHENOMENAL weightroom with good machines and everything you need to get swole.

the chinese mall closer to the york side has an interesting foodcourt, a bento/ramen place that looks convincing, yu-sushi that looks good enough in a pinch for takeout, some interesting chinese fastfood places with more menu in han than roman. it also has a beauty salon that was half what the (admittedly, much nicer) spa in the sheraton charged.

i like this property, despite the very mediocre food. i'd try the westin but i'm per-diem'd on rooms right now and i sure as heck do not want to waste money (8? 18? a night) on parking when this very decent option exists. hope they fix the espresso machine in the lounge soon.