FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Passenger smoked in lav
View Single Post
Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:29 pm
raehl311

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
The original fail was serving anybody six drinks. Smoking in the lav shows what impaired judgment can do for passenger safety.
Or what being an old curmudgeon who used to fly regularly when smoking on planes was No Big Deal can do...

As this was reported to law enforcement, there will be follow up by UA as well. That will likely lead to some action against the FA.
Maybe, depending whether UA is aware of how many drinks the passenger was served in-flight.

And if UA wants FAs to never serve one passenger 6 drinks on a flight, which I sincerely hope is a policy they won't adopt.

Originally Posted by cayohueso
I had a friend of a friend who bragged about getting away with smoking the lav. Some planes have a venturi effect sink drain, where when you push the drain stopper open it sort of pops and there is the sound of rushing air. He said he would stick his face in the sink, put a towel over his head holding the drain open and vent it overboard that way. While it sounded like a pretty awful experience, it also sounded plausible.
Was this friend of a friend smoking... meth? I can't imagine getting my face that close to the airplane lav sink...

Originally Posted by AirMiles2001
I've certainly drank 6 drinks on a DEN-LHR flight but not on a DEN-MTJ.
ORD-LAS I'm going to get 6 drinks in on that PDB plus 4 hour flight for sure.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Since when is doing your job grounds for punitive action?
If one believes the amount of alcohol served was excessive, then the FA was not doing their job. (I would not assume such a thing given what we know.)

Originally Posted by Often1
If the aircraft was met by local law enforcement, as it was, this was a domestic flight. I can't think of a UA nonstop to SFO where serving anyone six drinks, even presuming that they were stone cold sober on boarding, is acceptable. Doesn;t matter whether the individual downed six drinks as a PDB or spaced them across a 6-7 hour flight, it calls for a thorough internal review and I am certain that one will occur (although it won't be reported here or anywhere public).
If I'm on a 6+ hour non-stop on an American domestic airline, 6+ drinks almost seems like the only acceptable way to do it!

Originally Posted by joe_miami
No, you haven’t.
Challenge Accepted!

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Six shots in an hour would only get a 150-pound man to slightly above .08?

That math seems suspect to me.
Maybe at 150. But a 200-lb man who did 6 shots in an hour would top out at about .12. Certainly over the legal limit for operating a motor vehicle. For someone that doesn't drink at all, you'd probably notice some speech / coordination issues. For a semi-regular drinker, you likely would not notice at all.

Especially a semi-regular drinker whose drinking behavior is sitting in his seat and reading his book.