FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Forum Lounge Thread (2019)
View Single Post
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:11 am
Adam Smith
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by tcook052
This is true however he was gifted two of those SB's with the miracles that happened against both the Seahawks and Falcons. I'm not saying Brady isn't great but just think if Pats had lost those two SB's he'd have a record of 4 wins in 9 SB appearances.
I don't agree with your logic, but even if I did, it cuts both ways. Remember David Tyree? A man with 54 career receptions, catching a ball on his helmet, after an immobile quarterback somehow escaped being sacked when several guys had their hands on him. There's a miracle for you. How about the Manningham catch deep down the sideline in the second game against the Giants - a QB not exactly known for accuracy on deep balls, throwing to a well-covered 3rd string wide receiver not known for making great catches?

As for Seattle, what miracle? You mean the miracle of the ball that had been batted away somehow landing in Kearse's lap for a 30+ yard gain as he was lying on the ground, flailing around for it? Because if you're talking about the interception as a miracle, you're (a) falling for the fallacy that somehow Lynch was guaranteed to score if they had handed him the ball, (b) forgetting about the clock situation - 2nd down and goal with under a minute to go and only one timeout, it was logical to throw on 2nd or 3rd down to preserve clock and have a chance to run all 3 plays, if needed, and (c) ignoring the fact that the interception was down to preparation - the Pats had seen the play on film and prepared for it in practice, which allowed Butler to diagnose it and jump the route.

So, now we're up to 7 in 9 in our revisionist count, I think.