FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LH cancelation and rebooking rant
View Single Post
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:22 pm
xy31

LH cancelation and rebooking rant

A few items I am not entirely sure about, but mostly just wanting to write down my frustration.

I was on my way back from LUX to DEN through FRA. I had booked it in economy plus for some extra leg room since I am tall and my knees started hurting on longer flights in recent years. It was snowing that day, so I was a little concerned, but when I checked online as well as when I arrived at LUX airport most flights were on time with only one or two showing a delay as far as I remember.

My flight to FRA was 11:30. LUX is a small airport so I arrived around 9:45. I had to check a bag so I got in the LH line to drop the bag, thats when the flight status for my flight changed to "canceled" without any explanation. Well crap. I was already in line, so I guess I just wait here until I get to the counter agent. The line was moving super slow and I got there around 10:15. The agent punches in my information and told me LH already re-booked me on an alternative connection. Without waiting she grabs my bag throws it into the conveyor belt, hands me a bunch of tickets and tells me with great urgency "You have to leave right now, your flight leaves at 10:30. You have to rush to get to the gate before they close it. I will call them to wait for you. You will still get to your destination today."

Of I run without really looking at what I was handed.Security shuffled me to the front. Rush. Rush. I get to the gate. Phew I made it! Where am I going? Zurich... hmm ok. I finally get to take a look at my new itinerary once on board. I am going to SFO? and then from SFO to DEN? oh and on Swiss Air? and now the kicker. all in regular economy in middle row seats....

I wasn't mentally prepared for that. My one change trip with a 9-9.5 hr direct flight in premium economy had just changed to a 3 leg trip with a 12 hr flight from ZRH to SFO in a middle seat in economy. And after that I wasn't even home.. still had to go on a 2.5 hr UAL flight from SFO to DEN (also in economy middle seat). And everyone knows how pleasant United flights are.

I immediately called LH while we were still waiting for de-icing on the runway in LUX. After listening to my plight, the agent told me there is nothing they can do since I am already on the plane and I should talk to a LH agent in ZRH to see if they can change anything. Super, but I only have 30 minute transit in ZRH. I get to ZRH. there is no LH desk, only a Swiss Air desk... they just shrug their shoulders, LH booked this, nothing we can do. Upgrade? You have to talk to LH, nothing we can do. You have to hurry to catch your flight.... Ugh

I called my booking agent (AMEX travel) and they told me basically the same thing. Nothing we can do, you have to talk to LH. Called LH again. Can I at least get an upgrade, more legroom, compensation, points, a pina colada? Nothing we can do from here Sir, you have to talk to a local LH agent.....There are none in ZRH. Argh. ok, more rushing to get to gate. The local Swiss gate agent was the only one who had some pity on me and gave me another economy seat as apparently the seat LH booked me on didn't even have a functioning entertainment system. Still middle row seat though.

I guess if you are expecting to be on a 12 hr torture tour between two large individuals who are spilling into your seats, it can lessen the pain a bit, but despite Swiss Air probably being a very nice airline, it wasn't pleasant. United of course just laughed at me and told me to .... off when I asked them if there was any other seat available from SFO to DEN.

Now some actual questions/confirmations. I guess I ....ed up when I took the tickets the counter agent in LUX gave me to still catch the initial flight? Once I got on the flight, LH can wash their hands in innocence? I accepted their re-booking from a long haul flight in premium economy to a journey through hell so they are off the hook? Can I ask for any compensation since economy is clearly cheaper than premium economy? Swiss air doesn't have premium economy, so I guess their argument is going to be "hey it has economy in the name, just like your ticket"?

Lessons learned 1..... you LH, just like all other airlines you don't give a .... about your customers; 2. Always check your re-booking before you start running, regardless of how urgent the ticket agent makes it out to be.