FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Japan to begin Trusted Traveler Program (TTP) on Nov 1, 2016
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:06 pm
naeglerian

Programs: UA Kayaker and LVF, OZ Carbonesque
Issue with Mixing of Entry/Exit Procedure

Ever since I obtained my TTP card, I have only used it to leave Japan, primarily due to concerns about whether I would be able to obtain my rail pass or tax refunds without an entry stamp (apparently this is not an issue - thanks to everyone who has posted about this). I recently landed in Kansai and was directed to the regular line, which was basically nonexistent, so I didn't bother to search for the automated gate, but it turns out this was a bad idea, as the young lady at the immigration counter was puzzled as to why I had an entry stamp, but no corresponding exit stamp, from a visit last year. I gave her my TTP card. She then consulted her colleague in the next booth, and eventually called a supervisor, and after some extended discussion among the three, I received an apology for the delay, and a stamp in my passport.

Annoying though this was, I still used the TTP card to leave Narita, after surveying the line there. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this experience. Also, when you enter with the card, does it actually stamp the back of the card? I would have thought that even without a stamp, the immigration officer should be able to see on the computer that I had entered and left Japan in a legal and appropriate fashion.

Last edited by naeglerian; Feb 4, 2019 at 6:08 pm Reason: Clarification