FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - OT: Ramon airport is being built in the Negev
Old Feb 4, 2019, 2:11 am
RedChili

Originally Posted by BATLV
Don't use Google for this. Use Waze, it is much more accurate in Israel. It is 25 minutes to central Eilat ( maybe 23-24 minutes to the hotels in the northeast.) And that is before even taking into account congestion, the checkpoint on route 90, the wait for taxies - since there will be more demand and not so much more fleet ( and taxies are crucial because buses in Israel are non-reliable and inexistent on weekends.

No matter how you look at it is 30-45 minutes more which makes the change unpalatable to an average Israeli. I am not saying they won't fly - but marginally less so, and Eilat will become more congested and even less nice place ( not that it is a decent resort today).
Using Waze, I get 24 minutes to the King Solomon and 22 minutes from the hotel. Which is kind of strange, since the drive from the hotel is longer than the drive to the hotel because of the one-way streets around the hotel area. It should have been the other way around. And it's 3 minutes from ETH, and 6 minutes to ETH. Which means that Waze gives an added time of 21 minutes to the hotel, and 16 minutes from the hotel.

Me personally, I've never experienced any congestion on route 90 into Eilat, and I've never been stopped at the checkpoint. And that's with rental cars.

On my last visit to Eilat, I took the shuttle from Ovda to the city. According to Waze, it should have been 46 minutes, but it was actually just above 30 minutes. My guess is that a shuttle driver will make the trip from ETM to Eilat in around 15 minutes.