FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - OT: Ramon airport is being built in the Negev
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:42 am
Ditto

Originally Posted by BATLV
8 hours is a typical door to door time between leaving your home in, say, central Amsterdam, and entering your hotel room in Eilat. That includes just over 4 hours of actual flight time.
Well if so then your 8 hours must be flying to VDA, in which case ETM will only make things better, given that Intl flights never landed at ETH.
Regarding landing on 03 - ETH has the same wind rose as ETM. So the same process, still just a slightly longer taxi time. In any case, the difference in air time TLV-ETM/ETH is negligible as is taxi time. The bulk difference is in bussing time and walking airside to landside in the larger terminal.
Yes the winds will be the same, but the ETM terminal seems to be located in the middle of the runway which I suspect will make the taxi time slightly shorter
An average Israeli with two kids would rather have those occupied with some screen time at the back sit, rather than chase around in a no-frills airport terminal.
But how does that change ETH vs. ETM? The average Israeli with 2 kids will drive irrespective, and understandably so as flights to ETH are not cheap when you multiply by 4, and considering the amount of company cars in Israel.

The bussing is my assumption. Given the size of the airfield, the amount of larger planes, etc. safety becomes a bigger concern. And since they did not find the budget for air bridges which is the quick and the safe way - I definitely expect buses.
You are right about the walk time added - just a minute or 2, but still, I count it towards the total.
If they designed it correctly, busses won't be not needed, it's not difficult to have planes parked next to the terminal and within a walking distance to the gates, see e.g. HLA, and if they can do it in Africa