FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively {Archive}
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:17 pm
IAH-OIL-TRASH
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by shortkidd
I disagree.

I can't mention the number of times the flight shows many open seats in first to all of sudden be sold out andy name is 7-8 down the list. There must be many more 4 mm flyers or GS on my flights than on many others. Yes, I call this shenanigans.

There seems to be a "real" upgrade list vs what is provided. At this point stop sharing the information because it's other wrong or of no use.
Still not shenanigans. As mentioned many times elsewhere, UA is frequently not clearing upgrades (instruments and CPUs) until after check in starts. That’s why seats are open. If it makes you feel better to call it “shenanigans”, that fine, but UA really is not doing anything nefarious as “shenanigans” implies. You need to understand that the “invisible” list is what upgrades are processed off until airport takes over. After check in starts, there are often open seats nowadays. Once UA upgrades off the invisible list - poof - they’re gone. You’re not being deprived of upgrades, you’re just not as high on the list as you think you should be. Ahead of you during the check in period may be anyone trying for upgrades via miles or instruments, GS (and their companions), 1Ks on higher fare classes. ToD buyers maybe buying the seats out from under everyone.

Seems like you are unaware of the differences between the visible and invisible lists and their importance. Maybe you need to read the wiki. With a little understanding of the process, you can reserve you frustration to not getting upgrades, not towards not getting upgrades and thinking United is doing something nefarious to you.

So if right-sizing capacity, right-pricing F, and ToDs have nothing to do with reduced upgrades, what do you think UA is doing here to target you?

My upgrade percentages are way down, too, but I’m cognizant of the various factors that contribute to that decline.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Feb 4, 2019 at 1:23 pm