FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Likelihood Marriott will Take Away Lounge Access from Platinum During Next Downgrade?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:10 pm
AAir_head

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Originally Posted by Nuhusky
...if a plat shows up to the same hotel before me, they get my upgrade and they get into the lounge. Why did I spend more money at Marriott to get the same treatment as a plat...I think how airlines do status makes sense
I don’t know for sure, but don’t think that’s how upgrades work (whoever shows up first).

If you show early, there may not be upgraded rooms ready/cleaned to offer you (I think they assume when you show up you want to check in now, not several hours from now). Maybe there weren’t any when you checked in, but someone left early or canceled; should they chase you down, offer you the upgrade, and take two rooms out of revenue because the one you first checked into can’t be sold again until it’s cleaned and housekeeping releases it?

Maybe a PLT gets an upgrade because s/he is only staying one night to your three and the hotel is sold out on your second and third nights with paid guests in the higher-tier rooms. Would you want to take an upgrade only for part of your stay and have to move in the middle of it?

You’re also assuming you always spend more than a PLT per night and/or per year; it’s quite as likely you’d be wrong as right about that. In fact it’s quite possible there are no-status MR/MBv members that spend more than you on any given night. If money talks in upgrades then whoever paid the highest rate should get upgraded regardless of status.

Those are just the questions and possibilities I can think of off the cuff. Its not that your opinion is unpopular; it’s that it may not be completely thought through.