FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Japan Rail (JR) Pass questions (consolidated)
Old Feb 2, 2019, 1:21 pm
TomDXB

Question

Hello,

I’ll be in Japan for 18 days end of March (arriving 28th) with my wife and daughter (4 ½ year). We want to buy the 14-day JR Pass as we plan to travel from Tokyo to Kyoto, Kobe, Himeji and Hiroshima and then back to Tokyo (with stop in Nagoya).I have a few questions regarding the exchange and experiences of other users:

1. We’ll be arriving at 22:45 in HND and need to get to Shimbashi station. I’d like to use the Haneda Express which is included in the JR Pass but I am not sure if we can get our pass that late. After a 9 hour flight I would like to get as quickly and hassle free to our hotel as possible so I am also thinking of simply taking a Taxi and exchange the pass the next day. Any opinions/ideas?

2. As it’s a leisure trip we do not plan to use any trains during rush hour but only after 11am. My daughter is under 6 so technically I don’t need to buy a pass for her but I’m wondering if it maybe still makes sense to have a guaranteed seat for her. Basically, we want to sit together and I have no experience with long distance travel in Japan (was in Tokyo 2 years ago but only used the metro).

Thanks for any help!